Quote:
Originally posted by PondsForFun:
Does anyone here believe that overcrowded bass can be controlled by adding extra tilapia?
Controlled, no. Well fed for a few months, yes.

Maybe we are finally understanding what was going on in this case. Now, if I understand, the Tilapia stocking rate is 50 pounds per acre in order to feed out an overpopulation of LMB. That sounds a lot more reasonable to me.

Heybud, your "experiment" could be very interesting. If you could get several relative weight(RW) measurements on your LMB now and then again in about November and do a comparison, I think you will see the reasoning for the Tilapia.

I predict you will see substantial RW improvements in your LMB and also see a much stronger BG forage base by the time fall rolls around.

My only concern would be the total bio mass in the pond...especially in August if we get another round of drought conditions. Do you have aeration in the pond?

At this point, removing a whole lot of bass may be counterproductive...the LMB are needed to keep Tilapia numbers in check and Tilapia are needed to feed the LMB...I just hope you haven't exceeded the summer carrying capacity of your pond. Keep us posted on how this turns out...it should prove interesting. Thanks.