I am about to start a 5 acre lake, I met with the contractors and have inputs from the NRCS on the drop structure sizing. The pond location is a good one in terms of economics. It appears that it will only take about 10,000 yards of dirt for the embankment. The embankment is 600 ft long and will back water up for about 1000 ft. It has 6 foot of water at the dam without excavating and 3 ft at about 550 ft from the embankemment. The negative thing about this location is that it has a 400 acre water shed all cultivated soil. There is going to be much more siltation than is desirable. Any one have ideas on away to help control this? I am currently considering building a smaller dam up stream and force the water around it over a grassy area. The draw will be deepened in front of the smaller dam to catch silt which can be cleaned out ever so often. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

The road goes on forever and the party nevers end...............................................