Rocky,

Thanks for the clarification. Your design is different than what I've seen before.

There are two main reasons I installed the drain. I want to be able to adjust the water level and I want to have the ability to totally drain the entire lake if I want to. The valve makes this a very simple task.

I'm worried about plants along the shoreline. I have the dam at 3:1 to minimize plant growth, but from what I've seen in other ponds, I know this can be a problem.

With the valve, I can drop the water level several feet and kill the plants without affecting the fish or overall look of the lake.

If I know a really big storm is comeing, I can also lower the water level several feet before it hits. A few years ago we had 12 inches of rain in a week. The runnoff afer the second and third days was unbelievable!! We can also get 5 inches of rain in a single storm!!!! Rare, but it happens.

I don't know why I would want to drain the lake, but I like haveing that option. I know I'm taking a chance with my springs and leaving them open. This very well could turn out to be a huge mistake. With the valve, I can drain and pack them if I have to.

The disadvantage to your method that I see in my mind is closig the cap after it's been opened. With the water coming out, it will be very dificult to put the cap back on. It will also be hard to maintain a good seal with plastic threads after a few usus. How many times will plastic threads maintain their integrity? I don't know, but I do know there is a short life span for them.

Thanks,
Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.