TN Hillbilly,

Thanks for the pointers. I'm still undecided how I plan to protect the vavle assemble above grade. I've been thinking of just filling dirt until I have a mound to keep water away, then build a box that willcover it. I have quite a bit of Hardi Siding that works great for this. Once I know how high the uprisers need to be, I'll have a better idea on how to finish it off.

The rubber unions might be a problem. With both ends of the pipes exposed and such a short run, I have my doubts about how much movement there will be, but I don't doubt that it could happen. Since there's no significant preasure on them, I think I can get away with it.

This might be one of those really bad mistakes, or I got it right.

Theo,

Thank you sir.

I do a little construction around this area of Texas and have dealt with a few of the water companies. At first I was amazed that they use rubber unions for some of their repairs, but they swear by them. This is bigger than what I've seen them use on water lines, but it's very common on drain lines. I'm calling this a drain line and don't think their will be enough preasure to cause any issues.

Obviously I could be wrong, but my fingers are crossed and I did double up on my clamps!!!

Rockytopper,

A friend has the exact type of setup you mention. He has screw in plugs at two feet intervals that he can remove to drain his pond down to the desired level. He leaves the top one open to handle light rains and overflow.

To me, it looks messy. The pipe sitting in the air with all these fittings. Below the pipe he has piles of rock to cut down on erosion. After the water leaves his pipe, it flows down to his neighbors property.

In my situation, the pipe drains into the creek that is my property line. I own half the creek. I want to dump the water into the creek as fast as I can and keep it nice looking. Right now it's sort of unfinished in the pics, but eventually there will be bermuda grass growing around a nicely finished box of some kind to protect it from the elements and blend in with nature.

The valve was $150. Yes, that's allot for a valve, but thanks to Brettski, I was able to get a better price on it. There are cheaper valves and more expensive ones. I have around $600 into the hole thing, including pipe. Not an insignificant amount, but it's low enough that I couldn't use cost as a reason not to do it.

Eddie

Lake Marabou http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=139488&fpart=1

It's not how many ideas you have, but how many you make happen.

3/4 and 4 acre ponds.