I own some property on lake Tawakoni in East Texas, and as many people know, the lake levels throughout East Texas are as low as they have been in years, if not decades. So with that in mind, I plan to make the most of it. I've already completed a new pier, and now it's time to build a boat ramp (or boat launch). I've done a search online and on this forum for any guides to building boat ramps, but have not been successful. What I have found is this - the ramp needs to be at least 14 feet wide, and slope at a 12-15% angle, with at least 4 feet of depth at the end of the slope. The materials can be concrete or gravel. I think gravel will probably be what I choose, because I'm not looking to spend too much money, but I'm not sure. In the photo, the area we plan to build the ramp is where the brush pile is. We have since moved the brush pile with a tractor, but the burn ban is still in effect. The shoreline is approximately 4 feet high, and the slope of the lake bottom is very gradual. I anticipate doing some kind of trenching in order to make this work.

My questions are:
- Is the information I've found acurate?
- What are the pro's and con's of using gravel?
- How is the gravel applied?
- What type of gravel is used?
- What are the costs of hiring someone to build the ramp?
- Does anyone know any good dozer for hire guys near lake tawakoni?
- Is this the type of job for a dozer or front end loader, or some other type of equipment?
- What are the considerations when trenching the lake bottom?

Any other information is greatly appreciated. Thanks - see photo below.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c73/jdk4174/pieroct30.jpg