Hey, I promise I am not trying to be hard headed but even ewest made the following comment:

"From what I understand Gator's land is in the pine belt and has acid soil. I would expect that if ag lime has not been added the alka. reading is 17 mg/L or 17 on a standard Hatch kit test, which is low."

That is why I am still confused!!! So yes, please let's have some weigh in from others on desired total hardness and total alkalinity readings in ppm. Lord I am glad we are not married. One of us might be in the bottom of a pond right now \:D ! You know I am kidding!

As for the ammonia, I do disagree. I have done too many tests from people who brought in a water sample within a few hours of taking it, and they had really high numbers (even up in the 3.0 areas). These were not all from ponds we stocked either. The customers were experiencing drastic fish kills, and under microscopic evaluation I found ruptured vessels in the gill filaments. Once treated with microblift for three to four weeks, the ammonia numbers were drastically reduced. I still stand by high ammonia and low DO levels running neck and neck with high fish kills. Ammonia levels run high for various reasons (Cody can further this if he wishes) like organic decay, fertilizer runoff, fish death, excess feed...

Thanks for helping me keep this friendly!

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?