Deb and Bill,

Thanks for the discussion, I am learning a lot here and will wait to hear the agreed to aeration recommendation. I am following the other thread on stocking recommendations and will see what is decided there.

FYI, I consider my pond experience limited/average. I think that IF there is a way to reduce potential management issues, we should, considering my experience. If that means less fish, then so be it. Given a choice of aeration vs. no aeration, I would choose none, but, I understand that it is likely that some type of aeration is required and I am willing to follow the recommendation. I plan to feed as recommended. I am willing test my water regularly and supplement the water with lime (or whatever) to improve/maintain water quality.

Given the above - I think that would put me in the category of the “average” pond owner with a desire to learn and improve my skills.

Deb,

I have a pond water sample, where do I send it?

Also,

I took some measurements yesterday. First understand we have had close to zero rain the entire spring and summer, so pond levels are far below normal.

The Test Pond is currently 60' x 30'.

At normal levels it is up to 75' x 50' or a little less than 1/10 acre.

My estimation is that a normal levels the pond will be about 8' feet deep. At full (flood) capacity the pond would be about 10 feet deep. I don’t expect the dirt work to affect the depth.

To-do list:

1. Pray for rain.

2. Re-Measure after my contractor actually shows up (supposedly this week). Depending on where and how much dirt he needs, it may affect the overall dimensions.

3. Decide if the pond needs cover, it is basically bare. Should I add cover or let the HSB have a field day?

4. Remove the big LMB. No problem. Do I need to whack the HBG? They are a few in there...think the LMB is taking care all but the big ones.

5. Send water sample to Deb.

Gator

- Smoke 'em if you got 'em

[Linked Image from i4.photobucket.com]