Dave you are exactly right about the undesirable traits. Basically we are talking about micro-evolution versus macro-evolution. With macro-evolution (man-made or guided), the uncertainty of predictable or even desired traits becomes higher with each generation. So the possibility of a real freak appearing way down the line is always real. But again this can be avoided with the proper introduction of predators. Keep the originals and maybe a set of offspring, and let the remainder be eaten.
And I am sure I did “step in it” with the transfer proposal. But “eggs sticking to each other” is not the only means of transfer. Grown fish carried by the mouth of another creature or bird, or even a neighbor who wants to “improve your pond” without you knowing it are also possibilities. I have seen a large number of customers (as well as a pond on my late grandfather’s farm) who never put a single fish in their pond but could catch them out. I have been surprised at the numbers and variety of fish that have popped up when a customer uses rotenone on a pond that was “never stocked”. Something is happening out there. Nature is hard on the eggs and fry (we use a hatchery for this reason), but as you said it does happen so we can’t dismiss the possibilities.

Shoot, I promised Bill I would let the board cool down before I popped up again \:\( . Sorry to all. I’ll post some pictures if we get them this weekend, and otherwise try to keep my mouth (or hands rather) shut.
Thank you all again for the information, the corrections, and the open-minded responses you have given me over the past few weeks. Let’s really hit Bob up for a convention sometime so we can all sit down and sponge from one another.

Deb

Do fish actually kiss?