Hello All. I've been reading the site for a while now and have learned a ton from all of you so let me start by saying thanks.

I've been communicating with Todd Overton and we are planning a little experiment but he suggested I post the details on this forum and see what everyone else thinks. First, a little background...

I just completed construction on a new pond in Rusk, Texas (East Texas) about 6 weeks ago. When full, it will be about 3.5 - 4 acres. Water depth at the deepest point will be around 25 feet.

I had initially planned for this to be a LMB-only pond but based on the many posts I've read on this site regarding HSB, I've decided to stock a mixture of LMB and HSB.

My stocking plan was Fathead minnows this fall, Bluegill/Redear in early spring, LMB and HSB in late spring/early summer. Possibly Tilapia the following year.

Todd suggested an experiment regarding a different stocking regime for bluegill that should in theory promote more baitfish of the perfect size for predators at exactly the right time.

Goes as follows. Instead of stocking high numbers (800/acre) of bluegill in early spring, we will stock as if this were a fish farm. At most 80 bluegill per acre in the fall. This plan should produce up to 100,000 1" or less bluegill per acre by early summer when the predators are stocked. Then, when we stock predators, we'll stock bluegill at 800 per acre and redear at 200/acre to secure future forage.

The reason for this: high numbers of bluegill in early spring eat large numbers of their own fry. Also the initial stocking of bluegill should reach 5" by bass stocking time and be a serious competitor for small bass. Todd believes this plan is more efficient, maximizing baitfish production like a fish farm would.

Todd will be out of town for the next week but hopefully, when he returns he can add to the details I have posted and correct anything I've got wrong. He said he's never promoted this forage plan before so he was interested in all of your thoughts.

Have any of you tried something like this before?

Any Advice? Thanks.