Sunil :

There is much we don't understand about catchability in LMB. Many are and have been searching for answers. There is a fair amount of published material on the subject. I do not remember a study comparing live bait to art. baits. I am going to re-check tonight to be sure.

There are 2 types of anecdotal evidence that suggest that catchability is not an issue to any large extent when using live bait. The problem of catchability in LMB especially Fla. strain were noticed some time ago. Hatcheries started to move away from raising and recommending them when two things occured about the same time. Researchers started establishing the scientific basis for the problem about the same time pond ownres started complaining about the problem. The hatcheries wanted satisfied customers and did not want to ignore mounting evidence of the problem so they changed.

The two pieces of anecdotal evidence are 1-- hatcheries had no problem growing out Fla. LMB {before pellet trained LMB existed} in rearing ponds filled with BG, GS, FH, shad etc. and had no problem catching them later on live bait when stocked into ponds ,2--most of the people including the fishing guides in the native range for Fla. LMB when they want to catch them use live bait esp. large shiners. If those methods work on Fla. LMB, which have the highest catchability problem , then they should work better on F1 and northerns.

Then there is the direct evidence like ML noted which I have also observed in our ponds on both Fla, F1 and northerns. If I want to catch a big LMB {any strain] out of our ponds the best way is to use a 5 in BG or better yet a 10 in bass.

I agree with ML that the use of live bait will get around the catchability problem . Maybe not 100% of the problem as there are other factors involved but at least a very high % of it. ewest