In regards to crappie the meat is softer as Chip mentioned. Crappie fillets start falling apart while turning them during deep frying especially if using big fillets and or if fried a little too long or just past done. BG do not do that since their fillet is a little more dense. Both respective conditions are due to the density of the myomeres that comprise the fillet.

As far as freezing vs fresh, I haven't found anyone yet who can tell the difference in blind taste tests when the fish are fresh cleaned and frozen properly. Best way I have found to freeze fish is to freeze them in water so they do not freezer burn or absorb any "freezer flavors". The fish froze in ice maintains freshness. Currently I freeze filets in zip-loc bags and place enough water in the bag to cover all the meat; then freeze. I have eaten fish (walleye, BG, yellow perch, crappie) froze in water after 4 and 5 yrs old and they taste as good as the ones froze for 1 to 6 months.

I am told that the vacuum freezing method (Food Saver type machines) also works very good for freezing fish. I have never froze fish this way but I have eaten salmon and tilapia which were froze with the vacuum methods. Both types of fish tasted fine and normal to me. I am currently looking to buy a food saver type machine and trying this method for freezing my fish.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management