Hello everyone,
I’ve been lurking in the weeds and formulating my new pond plan for the last year, based on lots advice from a lot of you, much appreciated! Guess I’m just looking for reassurance that I don’t have any major pitfalls in my plan below. Read lots of good info in JoshMI’s recent post below, but didn’t want to hijack his thread: https://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=552943&nt=3&page=1

PLAN:
0.8 acre groundwater pond in central Michigan LP (see attached recent and construction pictures)
Newly dug this winter, currently 9-10’ average depth (almost full pool I’d guess), 13-14’ hole in a corner. 3:1 sloped sides except for more gradual swimming corner, pond is almost entirely sand. Based on neighboring ponds, don’t expect water level to decrease more than 1-2’ during summer.

Goal 1) YP for table fare and ice fishing, SMB for kids to catch on open water
Goal 2) Swimming corner that is relatively free of underwater taller weeds (may not be possible but..)
Goal 3) Perform pond experiments

Stocking plan:
Spring ’24:
5 # FHM, 5 # SFS - adding pallets, horizontal 4” PVC sections, and Christmas trees for spawning structure
RES...? (I’m driving to OH to get SFS (3 hrs away), thought I’d try putting in some small RES since they sell them, see if they make it. MI DNR report I read on the forum indicated my location is borderline ok based on # of frost free days). If they don't make it, maybe I'll try catching some MI wild RES in the future per other discussion in Josh's post.

Fall ’24:
150 4-5” YP
50 5-7” YP (or whatever a larger size is available, to see if I can get any to spawn in Spring '25)
75 4-5” SMB
Papershell crayfish - 300 ct box from Smith Creek, will add rock piles (waiting til fall so I can try to establish vegetation this summer)

Vegetation/Structure:

Entire pond currently bare sand.
Add American Eelgrass – Provide cover for YOY fish, maybe inhibit some of the other unwanted taller weeds
Add Pickerelweed – Along shore
Add various artificial structure, yearly Christmas trees plantings for YP spawning, pull them after they get in rough shape

Aeration:

Plan to get recommended aeration in the future, currently don’t have electricity on property though. (TBD)

Side notes:
Plan to get pellet trained YP and SMB from Ron Crismon, plan to supplemental pellet feed them.
I haven’t taken water samples yet but plan to. Visibility isn’t more than 2-3’ I’d estimate, plan to measure this too.

My apologies - I know I have lots of different topics above, just want to make sure I’m heading in the right direction overall since a lot needs to happen this first season. Thanks!
-Travis

Attached Images
pond.jpg digging.JPG