Originally Posted by gehajake
I am wanting to go out there and see if I can catch a YP, I stocked some two yrs ago but haven't seen or caught one since, but also don't know how, have never fished for one, people say to use worms and a bobber but that doesn't work in my pond during warmer months, cant keep the damn BG off the hook, maybe now they wont bother me as much.

I have the same issue when the water is warm. It's a little easier to target the YP once the bluegill get cold.

I had a few minutes to fiddle yesterday so I went to the pond with a spin rod rigged with a small piece of nightcrawler on a floating jig head
and 1/4oz weight pegged about 18" up the line.
Caught one YP ~10" long before my hands got too cold to continue. Had to clear ice from the tip-top guide about every other cast.
Got up this morning to find the pond surface completely iced over on the opposite side of the dock from where the aeration diffuser is now located.

Cody's suggestion to use minnows/small BG this time of year is a good one. I generally catch more fish on live minnows than nightcrawlers
during winter. Not always, but probably 8 of 10 times that's how it will go for me.

Tombstone doesn't have FHM in stock right now. NEMO has them for $11/lb. with a three pound minimum order. So far I haven't put a lot of
effort into catching my YP during the winter, but it's time to change that. I'm going to slap a bait tank together this week then run up there and
buy a sackful so I have them on hand when I'm ready to wet a line.