Rod, since I only need a few, I probably spend more per tree than you do, or want to. I cage all my new shoreline Bald Cyprus because of beavers, and since their roots are touching the water table, I don't need to water them.

The trunk guard is only there to keep the goats from stripping the bark. Again. The t posts are 3' tall, and are cheap pressed steel. They're around $4 a piece. I use electric fence wire, and old water hose or chem hose if I have remnants. Electric fence wire is very easy to work with, and I have tons of it. I'll do another watering next week, then unzip the bag, and throw it in the back of the UTV. Since this tree is a little older, I want it to stress just a smidge. It should help the root spreads.

I've had fire ant problems during the drought, and they'll target the bags if they stay on. It provides shade and water for them. Maybe it's just a TX thing, so if you don't have problems with that, then leave them on. I've had the bags for years, and they have lasted very well.

AL