Originally Posted by RAH
They were predicting over an inch of rain here but we got only 1/10th inch. One of our wetlands built by the state (but owned by us) has been mostly dry for 3 years now. I finally went out with a backhoe and dug a trench about 30 feet long inside the dam near the deepest point and found an open clay field tile. Did my best to remove and seal up the tile without breeching the dam because they installed chain link fence in it to prevent muskrats from boring holes, so going further into the dam would have created quite a mess. Hoping that my packing with clay will stop that leak and that there are not more open tiles. Contract, that the state wrote up, called for removing old tile, but their approach seemed to be haphazard... Hard to find folks that understand the concepts and follow through on the processes. Without this forum, I would be one of those ignorant to those same concepts. Another big thank you to those here that share their expertise so freely!

Not going to lie, we built a sewage lagoon in a farm field, didnt realize we came within a couple inches of a field drain tile when we built it, never could figure out why it wouldn't hold a drop of water till we seen a sink hole in one corner where the water was running out, when we tried to repair it is when we found the drain tile. see it happens to even the best of us!

All the really good ideas I've ever had came to me while I was milking a cow.