I just ran a seine this morning for the first time this fall. It was my little seine so I was just trying to get a sampling of my new YOY's in the bluegill program.

All of the fish were "late spawn" since they didn't get stocked until late June. I saw several thousand one to three inch fish. I also put about 300 in tanks. These fish ranged from 3-4.5 inches. I also recently purchased about 170 fish that were about the same size range. I'll be raising these fish in separate locations and then hopefully by June of 2008 I can mix and match some fish for further reproduction. These fish looked really nice. I'm also going to drain a couple in ponds in the next two weeks and see what else I've got.

I failed to bring the digital camera, but when I go back to the farm, possibly on Friday I'll try to remember so I can get a photo of these fish. For those of you who don't know (and I know many don't care), a 4.5 inch bluegill that's four months old is a really big fish. He's got little teeny eyes and a big hump already. Can't wait to show him off.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.