Do not discount the variability in size of male bgill ear flaps. Also it is possible the ear flap my not grow or develop as fast as the other male characters. Very little has been published or studied as to the rate of opercular flap growth. Also other individual variable things (behavioral and/or hormonal) may help explain why this fish did not appear to be competitive with the other bedding males. Numerous unknowns on this topic.

Since this fish is a young male it may still be somewhat intiminated by the pre-existing older males and not aggressively establishing a rank in the center of the nesting colony. It is also possible that this fish is one of those rare individuals that is destined to attain the "atypical size" i.e. a rogue when it come to the normal growth plateau. I think sometimes individuals of each species get chemical and or genetic imbalances and this causes the rare unusual upper growth sizes evidenced in angling records. Many and most individuals of the species never attain the monster status due to various reasons.

Irregardless, since you did not harvest this fish it will continue to grow until it reaches the final limit. I eagerly await your future encounters with this fish.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management