Greetings all,

I'm looking to install an aerator and two diffusers for our small pond which has been plagued by algae and duckweed in recent years. Dimensions are 0.2 acres, 6-8 ft depth (~450,000 gal).

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/S3Hk4BK3svis1XvUA[/img]

I'm looking to purchase individual components, and DIY assemble - to include solar power (inspired loosely by https://www.hiblow-usa.com/2021/06/07/diy-solar-pond-aeration/).

For the pump, I'm leaning towards the HIPBLOW HP-60 linear diaphragm septic air pump unit @ 250.

Two 100 foot 3/8" weighted airlines @ $130 each. The pump will be set back from the pond a bit. (Is 3/8" Ok for this setup? I assume so, as HIBLOW suggests purchasing it with this pump..)

I still need to choose the diffusers. I'm thinking medium to coarse bubble is preferred, since we're mainly concerned with generating movement in the water (moreso than providing the maximum amount of oxygen). Recommendations here?
(We're planning two diffusers, despite the modest pond size, because many single diffuser systems that I've seen placed in the center of a pond seem to just push algae & duckweed to the sides - rather than really disrupt its formation, as we'd like.)

As I mentioned, we'll be powering this via solar panels -> charge controller -> battery -> inverter, as we're too far away from an established power source. I've received some really helpful feedback from folks at the DIY Solar Forum on those aspects. This setup is only intended to run during spring and summer months. I'm located in Maryland, where we expect to receive plenty of sunlight from May thru August in the given location, although only for an average of 7 hrs per day (due to surrounding trees & hills). I'd like the pump to run ~8am to ~8pm, but this is not critical (i.e. it's Ok if it doesn't run at all on cloudy days, or shuts off early).

Mounting for the panels, and cabinet / enclosure for the battery, inverter, etc. is still TBD.

Any and all input is appreciated!

Last edited by ghdmd; 06/30/23 09:22 PM. Reason: improved formatting