Meadowlark,
Thanks for the replies. I was in your neck of the woods this week to talk to the NRCS guy in Livingston. It's really pretty out there the way the hills roll. My part of SJ county is relatively flat with some gradual slopes.

The NRCS guy gave me some very general information about soil types. He said that since soils can vary so much within a large area, there is no substitute for digging test holes to see what's actually there.
I wasn't asking for any federal assistance, just free advice and helpful information. He said they stay busy most of the time with construction contracts anyway so a small pond for a small land owner like me would be way down the bottom on their priority list.
He did print some aerial photos of my land taken in 2004. That was cool to have. And he gave me a list of dirt contractors that they have worked with.

I've called about 6 or 7 different dozer contractors and I'll hopefully meet with 2 or 3 this weekend to get some bids for the dozer work I need done.

From the conversations I've had so far, it looks like the work I need done is going to break down like this:
1. Cost to clear about 2 or 3 acres of brush and trees.
2. Cost to move a cubic yard of soil from point a to point b. (So far, I've been told $3.50 a yard)
3. Included in the costs above is spreading the dirt to build a 1500' driveway and about a 60x100 house pad.

As for what I end up with for a pond, it's all going to depend on how much dirt gets moved for the driveway and house pad.

Thanks,
Ronnie