Our basic goal on this forum is to not discourage new ideas or creativity of stocking different fish combinations in ponds. Our goal is to provide and advise with science based knowledge and or practical experiences for helping pond owners solve all sorts of pond problems.

New ideas and creative use of fish ecology, feeding preferences, and fish behavior (ethology - the study of animal behavior in nature) is how some of our unique, non-standard good fishery advice has been developed; often using experimentation, trial & error. For example - yellow perch in ponds. Government agencies discourage stocking YP in ponds. However when done correctly and the perch are managed properly, yellow perch can be an excellent panfish, food fish, and sport fish in ponds. I have learned that successful pond high quality fisheries are, as in all types of farming, primarily about MANAGEMENT of the crop in terms of numbers and sizes.

When stocking and using fish that are less compatible in the community one has to be prepared for the learning consequences, failures, disappointments and successes. Here we try to share our experiences with all sorts of pond management concepts. When one progresses into new fish stocking territory or against proven successes one has to be prepared for the results. My experience is - the bigger the pond is,,, the harder it is to 'start over'. Small ponds due to their easy renovation are good experimental candidates for new fish stocking ideas.

When stocking and using fish that are less compatible in the community one has to be prepared for the learning consequences, failures, disappointments and successes. Here we try to share our experiences with all sorts of pond management. When one progresses into new fish stocking territory or against proven successes one has to be prepared for the results. My experience is the bigger the pond is the harder it is to 'start over'. Small ponds due to their easy renovation are good experimental candidates for new fish stocking ideas.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/21/22 01:24 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management