snrub, sorry it has taken me so so long to get back to you. I've been on the road turkey, blue grouse, and dove hunting so much I've neglected my daily visits to the forum! Even made it to the western Kansas line to Coolidge just so I could turn around and say to my dog, "Gypsy, we're not in Kansas anymore!"
Let me know when you head over here. I'm getting ready for heart surgery (mitral valve repair) so may be occupied when you pass through.
Unless you are familiar with and comfortable driving a high mountain pass, avoid Wolf Creek on highway160. This past week as I drove it in my pickup, there was a semi trailer overturned, a small car wrecked, and a pickup hauling two beautiful pontoon boats on its roof, boat parts scattered across the road. There are good runaway truck lanes on the west side, if a driver were to get into trouble.

On a more general note about muskrats not eating fish: while fish may not be a regular part of their diet, I have actually seen them munching on sluggish bullheads in a partially frozen irrigation ditch. They're known for eating freshwater mussels. I can imagine they'd grab fish on other occasions if the opportunity presented itself, but just not actively pursue healthy fish.