I'm going to say there is no RES in that CNBG, but that is just a guess on my part. You have known me long enough to know I am definitely no expert. The CNBG stock originally came from Dunn's Fish Farm which if I recall correctly is pretty far north in CNBG territory, so who knows what is in the strain. There are RES in the pond (as noted in the bottom picture) so hybridization is always a possibility. I might be able to give you a better answer in a few years. In my RES/SMB pond, with only RES lepomis stocked, I stocked a single adult male CNBG. I am hoping for some RES/CNBG hybrids from that experiment.

Hard to say what fish can see. From my lake diving spearfishing time a lifetime ago I can say pretty confidently that fish can see us under water before we can see them. I also know in my pond at 9 ft depth at my air diffusers with my eyes open or closed, makes no difference. It is black. That said in Bonaire (in Houston about to get on a plane to there now), I can be at 165 feet and see perfectly well. So it all depends on the clarity of the water.

Edit: as noted in the description of the photos above, there were a few hybrids mistakenly put in the RES/SMB pond, so RES only stocking of that pond was the target but a few mutts slipped in when I misidentified specimens that were too small for me to do a positive ID. They would have definitely been RES/GSF cross out of my forage pond. Once they get a little size, the GSF influence is easy to see.

Last edited by snrub; 08/27/22 10:54 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine