How NOT to mow your pond bank edge.................

The main pond was so low and dry along the edge I just put one set of tires of the tractor down in the bank and mowed around the pond. Worked fine.

Then I went to the RES/SMB pond. Started working fine. Then as both the front and rear tire started squishing down into the pond and the front tire getting wet I remembered something. I had expanded that pond and in doing so had tapered only the top edge about three feet.........then it was a straight drop off to about 8 feet because the extension on the pond I did while the rest of the pond still was mostly full. So I basically cut a trench with the dozer on that end of the pond then raised the overflow pipe a foot. Well my tractor was crushing that vertical wall and I did not want to see how deep it still was. Of course my cab only has a left door (too cheap to buy the hinge and door handle for the right glass). And I went around the pond the wrong way so my door side was open to the water, Hmmmm.......probably did not think this one through. So I called my wife for help and crawled out through the back window onto the mower. That was not so easy for a 68 year old guy.

So we got a chain and the telehandler and pulled it right out, no worse for wear. I had tried one time to back it out before calling her and lets just say it was a tense moment as the tractor headed sideways for open water. Picture attached.

Senior moment??????

Attached Images
How not to mow pond bank (1040 x 780).jpg
Last edited by snrub; 08/26/22 04:03 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine