esshup, that's a good point. Also a point I personally take into account.
If we have to aerate, it's best at night-in the hot time of year- for the simple fact lower water temp holds more O2 than higher temp water.
75-80-85-90 has nothing to do with it if you don't know what your BOD is.. but if your water temp is over 85 and your night temps are only 80, you still better be aerating at night if nothing but for the simple fact BOD is highest at night.

Scott, this is not a guess to me.. because there is only a minimum we are trying to stay above. When I hit 80-81 I'm turning it at night.
Now, as days get shorter-even though highs for the day may still be 104, it's for a much shorter period and the nights at 55-60 are much longer and I'm sure your pond temps are dropping just like mine. I'm 71 degs on the surface today but when I dropped below 75 I quit aerating at night and moved to 2am to noon. In 2 weeks I'll be 8 am to 7pm to keep temps up-not O2-to extend every minute of growing I can.
If we say at 80 you need to start aerating at night we might get jumped on when someone has a fish kill because they had a monster load of fish, a massive bloom, feed 4lbs per acre a day and a cold rain come in and a couple of cloudy days but water temp was only 78 so there was no aeration at the time it was needed most but Billybob's pond had no fish kill because he had clear water and low biomass.
How do we set the standard to gauge this? We have many moving targets with countless variables.
Nothing but respect for ya Scott, you know that. This is in the spirit of conversation.
EDIT: I quoted a comment and it didn't allow attachment...weird..

Last edited by esshup; 08/22/22 07:19 AM.