Originally Posted by CrazyCarl
Sorry, I was raised by grandparents who were dirt poor farm kids during the Depression, so growing up, there weren't too many critters that were off limits as table fare.

I wasn't raised by them, but certainly some of my best memories were from spending time with my "dirt poor farm kids during the Depression" grandparents.

As you said, not many critters were off limits for eating. My grandfather used to hunt rabbits with a thrown hammer. He said he was good for about one rabbit for every three tosses. We ate both rabbit and squirrel at their house growing up, even when food was plentiful. I think they both considered any "meat" a treat since in their younger days they had gone long stretches without it.

In addition to gathering critters, my grandfather knew where all of the pawpaw trees and sand plum thickets were down by the river to supplement the larder when in season.

He also used to noodle catfish in the river. He would never show us boys how to do that, and that was one of the few topics on which he clammed up under eager boy questioning. I believe he had a buddy drown while noodling based on something my grandmother told me years later.