Originally Posted by airborne3118
Goundhog is delicious. The YOY are the best, very tender and reminds us a lot of rabbit. The mature ones we usually put in the crock pot and it reminds us of a lean beef roast. Very delicious either way.

I saw a big one bookin' across the pasture while I was mowing. Followed him to his lair under our little reefer box/outdoor storage thingy. I'ma git him. Thing's as big as our Dachshunds, so minimum 15lbs or so. I'm thinkin' either groundhog kebabs or maybe some carne asada whistlepig tacos.

Sorry, I was raised by grandparents who were dirt poor farm kids during the Depression, so growing up, there weren't too many critters that were off limits as table fare. I'm also a redneck prepper & adventurous eater. Hell, even bobcat's on the menu, should the opportunity arise. It's a lot like lean pork, just don't over cook it.

Back on track. Took a walk around the pond & had a look-see, now that things have dried up a bit. It's about 2/3 dug & full to the brim. Apparently, the spring we tapped was a strong one, as it stays full. Visibility's ~2', with a pea soup greenish cast to the water, so I'm hopeful my H2O will be good to go. I have one of those Pond Master test kits on the way, so I'll have a better idea what's going on. Can't wait to get 'er done & start growing some tasty sunfish.

Last edited by CrazyCarl; 04/14/22 11:45 PM.