So right around the time that I posted this question, life got a little difficult and I had to focus on family. That being said, I'm still here, I still have the pond, and it still has a fair amount of muck. I'll address some of the questions above:

Why are you wanting to deal with the muck? What are your goals?

The overall goals are to:

- increase depth
- allow for more pleasant swimming and fishing
- reduce/eliminate algae blooms

We have substantial algae blooms in the the spring. The pond is shared with 2 other properties, and it is my understanding that over the years, nothing was done to address the cause of the blooms, only eliminate the immediate bloom. Copper sulfate has been the chemical of choice for many years. As I learn more about pond management, these algae blooms are a symptom and not the underlying problem. Treating the algae with copper sulfate just helps to perpetuate the problem:

Algae forms out of the muck on the bottom and rises to the surface -> Algae gets treated with copper sulfate -> Algae dies and sinks -> Dead and sunk algae becomes more rotting organic matter on the bottom to perpetuate more algae blooms

To break this cycle, I believe I need more aeration and address the muck directly.

Any idea or actual measurements as to how thick the mucky bottom material? Can we assume it is very black when the muck is roiled and agitated? Do you want to reduce it in primarily a swimming area or most of the pond?

The muck is exceptionally black. If my golden lab mix gets excited and having fun in the pond, she looks like a black lab when she comes out. My measurements have not been scientific, but the muck is 1-2 feet deep. I would like to reduce the muck in the entire pond, but happy to start around the 3 docks/swimming areas first.

Last year was the first year in this pond's several decade life that it had any aeration. I will be adding aeration to a different section of the pond this year.

Thanks!

Last edited by zuren; 03/24/22 02:21 PM.

Share a 1.7 acre, kidney shaped pond with 2 neighbors; Stocked with bass and bluegill