Originally Posted by FishinRod
Dug test holes for pond locations at the farm yesterday. We have been very dry since October, so I was also able to test the variability of my ground water.

Success! Found good clay in 9 out of 10 holes. Several holes had pure blue clay at the bottom. I think I could make a pond that holds water like a bathtub with that stuff!

My subsoils were dry down to 6-8', and then I struck water. It would start seeping into the hole at depth. I struck clay within the next 6" every time there was water. It appears that my clay layers are continuous and there is still a little bit of groundwater migrating in the last bit of permeable sediment just above the clay seal.

I was worried that I would be forced to move lots of saturated sandy loam soils on top of wet clay to excavate my ponds. I now think I can accomplish our pond builds WITHOUT great difficulty, if I can get working during a semi-drought period.

The first step is to clear about 5 acres of land.

Does anybody happen to know if the goat in Al's thumbnail pic is available for contract work this spring? grin

You will have to talk to his wife, but for the right price I'm sure they are (they have 2 goats).

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).