The pond project started after an acquaintance invited me to an afternoon of fishing in his pond. I caught two fish that fought harder than anything I had ever caught before. The next day I started looking for a place to sink a pond and around here there are many rice paddies which are perfect places, I think. Just dig a hole and it fills with water which is clean, but clouded with clay. I found a small plot near where I live and on March first I had a pond. The fish here are what really stand out as being different from the US. I can stock anything I can find. Alligator gar to zebra mussels. Tropical fish from around the world are bred by the millions in Thailand and it seems that fish buyers want increasingly larger fish. That in turn makes them available to me. The water is warm year round and fish growth rates are very good. But, then almost everything grows well in this climate.
I was lucky and found this web site early on so was able to avoid some mistakes and find out how normal the things I was experiencing were. I have snakes, herons, cattle, water bugs, mystery fish and algae just like many others. I do have a water buffalo or two wandering the area and all of my neighbors have cast nets, but so far no visitors.

1/4 & 3/4 acre ponds. A thousand miles from no where and there is no place I want to be...
Dwight Yoakam