Hi all, my name is Dan. My wife and I recently purchased a new property and home with a private 1 acre pond. The previous owner maintained the pond very well. However, they paid a company over $4K per year to come out and make sure the pond was good…. I have a masters degree in fish and wildlife management so I feel like the management is something I can learn and handle myself. Most of my work revolves around endangered species and some wetlands so I am not well versed when it comes to pond management. That being said, I am open to challenges. The previous owner mentioned that they paid the company to come out every other week between April - September. They said the company would apply dyes and some herbicides occasionally. The pond is fed by runoff so they did mention that it has had high nitrogen and phosphorus levels in the past. The fish population seems great. It has bass, blue gill, and catfish in it. Good sized fish. The pond does have a fountain for aeration.

We are wanting to maintain that fish population as well as maintain aquatic weeds and algae issues. We will use the pond for fishing and occasional swimming in the summer.