I went and laid on the dock this afternoon and marveled at the huge number of fry currently in the pond, I'm not sure if I've ever seen anything like it. Three and half weeks ago I had a huge daphnia hatch, daphnia everywhere within 18" of the edge of the pond, this was followed by huge golden shiner hatch. The GSH fry that hatched in early June are already pushing 1"+, a few are already 1-1/4", the early hatch GSH are intermixed with new GSH fry that have hatched in the last few days. The number of daphnia seen along the edge of the pond has been significantly reduced in the last two weeks.

Underneath the dock in the shade there were hundreds of freshly hatched RES fry that are noticeably lighter colored and deeper bodied that the GSH fry. I went and grabbed a fine mesh dip net and ran it next to the dock for 10-15 seconds and pulled up 30-40 RES fry that were 9-12mm in length, these were the smallest RES I've ever sampled. The large number of fry likely has to do with removing 375 large golden shiners in the last 10 months out of my 1/4 acre pond. Last August-September I removed 308 GSH, and then another 67 in late May/early June, that's roughly 1500/GSH per acre in mostly in the 6" to 6-1/2" size range. I should see some good growth rates on my RES and SMB, I can tell you that the fishing has become extremely tough in last couple of weeks.