Originally Posted by FishinRod
Is there anything to do for fungus protection in our ponds that falls into the "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure" category?

(Not counting the typical efforts made for year-round water quality management.)

After witnessing a massive fish kill due to a low O2 event at a fish farm where he was testing (IIRC 7) different brands of fish food I noticed that 2 cages of fish only had less than 10% mortality. Upon questioning the owner those 2 cages of fish were being fed Optimal Fish Food, but he had stopped about a month prior due to the difference in price.

I called the guys there at Optimal and while they wouldn't divulge the ingredients, they said they put a micro-nutrient package in the feed that helped fish get through stress events.

Read into that whatever you want, but that's one of the reasons why I use Optimal Fish Food and recommend to all my clients that feed their fish to use it too.

There is always fungus in the pond and it manifests itself when fish get weak. Same with us, the germs/bacteria/virus are in the air all around us and when out immunity system gets compromised, that's when we get sick.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).