november 2017 i stocked the following
Hybrid Striped Bass 8" to 10" 175 (most were 10-12" and very healthy upon stocking - approximately 15 were stunned while stocking but all swam off shortly after)
Largemouth Bass 6" to 8" 100 (these were all 7-11 upon delivery)
Walleye 50 (most 10")
Red Ear Sunfish 3" to 4" 150
Yellow Perch 3" to 5" 150 (these were actually 6-7")

Jan 14 2018 i caught a single 12" walleye, may 2019 i caught a 14" walleye - haven't caught one since
HSB - i saw a few feeding in the spring of 18 - nothing since...i'm totally surprised i haven't seen nor caught a single one as they were extremely healthy high rw fish upon delivery
YP - saw eggs on leaves the spring of 18 - nothing since

LMB, crappie and bg are abundant - the stocked lmb were a great option as they have done very well both growing and spawning

CC have been caught on rare occasions in the late spring/early summer - 3 caught in the last 3 years. The pond above mine is CC only and I've talked to the owner about installing an agri drain cover on his outlet pipe to prevent them from coming down to my pond in heavy rains. I might just buy the cover and install it myself this spring haha

no blue cats
no winter kill
My pond maxes out at 82 degrees measured during dry periods of extreme heat - i've taken a few readings due to curiosity
In the last 4 years I have only had 6-8 weeks of 0 outlet flow and i always have incoming flow - evaporation must be higher than inlet flow.

My goals for '21 will include further culling via the cloverleaf, and more regular feeding. I'm going to run a trotline for bullhead and maybe a couple jug lines for catfish over the summer. I'm also looking to remove the top end of the bass population - i have a few 18" + lmb that should go. the stunted bass are fun to catch, and I still want to have a good population of 6-9" bg with bonus crappie.

I would totally agree that YP should do great in this pond. Food sources are excellent, spawning habitat is perfect for yp, nice weed growth of curlyleaf every spring that holds until mid summer - the predator base is there to support a decent school of fast growing perch into jumbo range. I may try another stocking after '21 to see what happens. Maybe some more hsb too

Last edited by Matzilla; 01/14/21 01:22 PM.

Mat Peirce
1.25 acre southeast Iowa pond
LMB, BG, YP, WE, HSB, RES, BCP