Dan,

Predators are precious. In the waters I try to manage by harvest they are the piece that is insufficient to grow large BG. Its tough when the water is public. Between harvest of the LMB and mistreatment (have on one occasion observed an angler using his foot and pavement to stable the fish for hook removal). Oddly he was very proud of himself for having released the fish.

There really can't be too many LMB if you want large pan fish... provided ... your LMB are able to attain lengths of 8" to 10". See to this piece and you will grow some dandy pan fish ad infinitum. LMB are precious to a pan fish pond, make them work hard for a living, they are working for you. Your pond is small enough to manage pretty easily. I think you want in the neighborhood of 50 LMB in the 6" to 8" lengths. If you stock 2" to 3" fingerlings, few will survive. That's way too many for growing LMB in larger sizes but its the means to the end of growing dandy pan fish and your pond would "instantly" be properly equipped with predators that are up to the task if you could swing it.

By the way, I enjoyed the pic of "dinner" every bit as much as the pics of fish. I wanted to ask you also, when you cleaned the large GSF looking fish, did it have eggs inside. By the time they reach 6" the evidence of sex is plainly visible inside. Do you happen to remember the sex? If there were eggs, it is not likely an HBG this early in your ponds life, though it could be.

As to whether GSF wind up in HBG shipments by accident? No but it is possible as a matter of negligence. No parent should be used in production that isn't positively identified (by gametes). For hybrid production, this is an unbreakable rule for which there should be no tolerance. They should be produced in ponds with no water shed that are preferably filled with well water. If not well water, the water must be filtered in order to prevent contamination by other fish. When its done right, there are no "accidents" (which is just an inexcusable way of softening incompetence or negligence).

F1s are remarkably consistent and this consistency is what makes them attractive. F1 tomatoes are remarkably consistent also while their offspring ... not so much. I don't think the GSF-ish fish is an F1 and I would be willing wager 10-1 at a reasonable limit that it isn't.

Last edited by jpsdad; 11/12/20 11:55 AM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers