Originally Posted by 4CornersPuddle
Just a technicality, but could those chubs be fallfish? Same genus as creek chub.

Maybe but, I haven't seen anything bigger than 12-13" and I feel they are getting this big because they have pellet trained them self's.

One more interesting note about the pond and the possible spawning of these Creek chub. The pond is really two large bowls that are connected with a shallow 5-8 foot.... I would call it a saddle. In the center of both bowls is the air stations. Just one single disk in each.

Now here is my thoughts. This saddle was covered with pea stone and chips. My thoughts are that the creek chub have been making their nests on this saddle and the aeration has been making enough current to trigger the spawning of the creek chub on this saddle.

I have always run the air in the spring during the day to warm the pond and off at night until the pond water temp reaches 55F. Then I will turn the air on at night from 7pm to 7am to keep the pond cool. It works well and the fish have a cold refuge in the deep ends of the bowls during the day. The minnows get the free run of the shore lines with the top 30"s warming up from the day time sun and air temps.

I will dig into my old computer to try to find some pictures of this pond construction.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
Pond.jpg pond2.jpg
Last edited by DonoBBD; 06/13/20 07:32 AM.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.