I don't have a good answer for that Tracy. I was not aware the CNBG get bigger. We just like them because they are "purdy". grin

Guess I have not seen any difference. The one difference I notice concerning sunfish is that the hybrids are feed hogs and reach harvest-able size quickly because of it. That does not address your question, but adds to the conversation that feed availability and amount matters a lot. We have harvested 233 sunfish so far this calendar year and probably thirty or so were GSF, maybe 10 were BG and the rest HBG. We put all the good looking BG back into the water. So we have significantly thinned the herd mostly around the feeder of the HBG. The idea being give some of the BG a better chance at the feed.

I have not had an ideal setup to grow huge BG as our LMB population has been low for about every year up to this year when I am finally starting to catch some LMB from last years spawn. We have had an over abundance of sunfish and have had to harvest heavily to try and keep the numbers down. So a one pound BG is big for our pond. Now that the bass population is up (both LMB and SMB that I have been adding from another pond) I hope the BG population will be kept in better check and we might get a larger percentage of larger BG.

I really am a pan fish angler and the big bass don't do much for me. I like stuff under 3# and fast action. Do have a few friends that like to catch the bigger bass though so having a few around is not that bad.

I really hope my fishery is transitioning to more BG oriented with a higher bass population to keep the BG numbers more ideal. Then maybe I will get a chance to see just how big those CNBG will get.

Last edited by snrub; 06/07/20 09:00 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine