There has been discussion in the past about how far north CNBG would survive and or thrive. Generally my location in SE Kansas is considered a little too far north. What I have heard is about mid Oklahoma and south is where they are best suited.

But I just loved the looks of them so had to try some. I got some from Dunn's Fish Farm route truck a couple years ago and put them in my ------sediment pond ------to grow out. Over a period of a year or so I caught as many as I could and transferred them over into my main pond. They grew well in the sediment pond.

They have done fairly well now in my main pond and I catch one every once in a while. Native BG for sure still dominate the population in my main pond but the CNBG seem to be doing fine and I have also had successful spawns from them as I have been catching a few smaller ones also.

Thing of it is, I can't say we have had any severe winter since stocking. So they may do fine for a while then one year have a big winter kill. I hope not but realize that as a possibility. Coming from Dunn's there is some speculation that their strain may be slightly better winter adapted than from hatcheries further south. Speculation being the key word. Dunn's do use the CNBG as the BG source in their HBG which they sell a lot of.

Pictures below of a couple of recent catches. First a male (8-9") and the second smaller one I presume a female. I catch one once in a while that appears it could be an inter grade mix of BG and CNBG but surprisingly not as many as I would have guessed.

Edit: Oops. After looking at the second picture not certain about it being female. A lot of black tipping of scales. Not sure. Could be a young male??? Maybe a spawn from some of the original stockers.

Attached Images
20200526_164215.jpg 20200526_164545.jpg
Last edited by snrub; 06/06/20 07:01 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine