Faced with the disappointing realization that my dream LMB pond would never match expectations, I ran an experiment last year with HSB and Tilapia. The failure to match expectations was due to the Florida strain bass's ability to "learn" and also due to the observation that artifical feeding which promotes bass growth also leads to bass that will, for the most part, only feed on BG at the feeders.

The experiment has worked in that I can catch lots of large BG and catch respectable HSB virtually at any time within the limitations of my meager but now growing HSB stocking program. However, I still yearn for the big LMB, that is catachable.

This year, I'm going to try another experiment. I'm going to stock F1's in a 2 acre pond with coppernose BG, fatheads, and Tilapia. No artificial feeding, none. No fishing until fall, none.

My expectation and hope is to grow healthy, aggressive and large LMB which I can readily catch on flies...on infrequent occasions. For my more frequent fishing for family and friends, it will be for HSB and BG in the other larger pond.

That's my plan and would love to hear your comments/criticism of same. Thanks.