I'm looking forward to reading the progress on this project. I was a bit surprised to learn how the hybrids dominated the catch in Theo's pond. I wonder if that was because they are numerically much stronger than the pure strain RES or just that they bite more readily. It makes sense that the hybrids grow faster and (perhaps consequently) survive better. If so there may be numerical strength of hybrids amongst recruits.

So I try to imagine how the male BG are able to accomplish success having young. I imagine the RES on their beds ... so what happens next? Do the big BG just bully their way to center and the RES girls choose those nests due to their prime location? Or perhaps do the big BG just go where they want dispersing there genes as dominant satellites that male RES are unable to prevent? I recall you are a scuba diver and if you commonly still do from time to time dive your own ponds... I would be most interested in your impressions if you ever happen to observe male BG breeding with the RES.

Last edited by jpsdad; 05/02/20 04:55 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers