Originally Posted by esshup
Bryan, my sympathies.

I did some research over the winter on how geese affect the pond. Specifically how their droppings affect water quality. Here's some food for thought and the main reason why I don't allow them to spend much time on my pond.

Every day each goose will poop enough excrement to grow 115 pounds of filamentous algae.

In my pond, I allowed a pair to nest on the island and raise a family. One year they invited about 40 relatives for a party, and the year after that I had Eurasian Water Milfoil growing in my pond. I imagine that one or more of the party goers brought some seeds in their gut from a local lake and deposited them in my pond. So now I have to treat my pond every couple of years with Fluridone to kill what is growing. Every year I think I have it eradicated, and then every few years it shows up again. I (and Kate the Springer Spaniel) are busy this time of year keeping the No Vacancy sign lit and operating.....

No sh-t! I have four adults at my place but never realized they could so easily spread bad stuff. Hard to get rid of them when you have feeders.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160