We live right in lion country. Lots of anecdotes; I won't even begin to relate many here. I'd be writing for hours.

One thing we see, is mule deer are normally in our yard once or twice a day. If a few days go by without deer sighted, we walk the property and often spot lion tracks. Cat shows up, deer vacate the premises.

Several years ago we had 3 domestic geese. We came home from an overnight stay only to find 2 of the geese on our porch deck. One was missing. They'd crossed the "goose proof" fence that was intended to keep them away from the house.

The next night while we were eating dinner, we heard a loud thump against the outer wall of our back bedroom. One of the remaining geese flew in panic down the driveway. Pati went out one door; armed I sent our another door. While she was standing at the front bumper of her Subaru, a lion, carrying a goose, walked by the back bumper and glared at her. Her comment was, "I've always wanted to see a mountain lion, but not with my goose in it's mouth."

Next night found me at the same time sitting on the deck, 12 gauge Specialty Grade LC Smith in my lap. My thought was this classic old side by side has probably never, in its 98 years, had a chance at a lion. I'd talked with proper authorities; they assured me I could kill the beast if it returned. And, biologists I asked said simply firing warning shots over its head would not prove effective long term. I have dissuaded both marauding grizzly and black bears with warning shots.

Well, in 25 minutes the motion sensor light triggered, out stepped the lion at 14 yards, up came the LC as if rising to a flushing quail, and that was it for said cat. The sheriff and fish and game people thanked me. They indicated a cat that fearless of humans was going to become a problem for them at some point.

Fortunately for all, no more cats have come right up to our house.