Eagle26,

I am going to break my rule and try one more time. Imp and Vmp are the amps and voltage where the maximum energy (in watts) can be produced. If you lower the voltage or amperage, you lower the total available energy. I would guess your Film panels run around 22 volts. I would guess Vmp is around 18 volts, now tie that to a PWM controller, and they can produce 12.5ish. At the nominal 18 volts, your panels will see around 5ish amps. Multiply the 5 maximum amps with the 12.5 volts being generated by the panels and you get 70 watts ish. Now look at the losses through your system. Subtract 10 to 25 percent more. Now realize your amorphous panels loos 10-30 % after 6 to 8 months and you can see that you are running on borrowed time. It you buy a cheep overseas MPPT controller, the losses will also be high, and it won't last very long.

About your batteries. If you have two 6 volt golf cart batteries, you must use them both together to have the 12 volts needed to run your inverter. If they are 12 volt batteries and you only use one at a time, be careful. The next thing you need to learn is how much power your batteries need to be suppled to be fully charged. Your battery manufacture will give you recommended and maximum charge rates and voltages for bulk, absorb, and float.

In short, Solar power is a complex undertaking. If done poorly, there are going to be problems. To do solar power correctly cost money. There are places where you can save, but if you skimp on the important bits, it will cost you forever.

I get wanting to do solar on the cheep, but it rarely works out. You must know what you are doing. I would recommend taking a solar power class at your local Community college. Those programs are setup to guide you through the initial steps to ensure you have the foundation to succeed. Again, best of luck doing it your way.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%