Originally Posted by Zep
wbuffetjr...even if the figures from China were ten times worse than they report, it would be about like annual flu deaths in US.

We are 5-6 times more population than Italy and it still would not be anywhere near 2.5 million deaths...it would be around 21,000 or less than annual US flu deaths. Plus Italy has one of the highest elderly populations in Europe.

China may not have Panama Beach, but tens of millions live in very close quarters and many live in squalor.

Again.. it is a very serious situation...yes corona is more contagious than flu....

But with the flu and corona the vast majority do not require hospitalization and do not die from it.

I just think we need to take a lot of precaution, but not shut down the economy.

Zep - trust me I do not want to shut down the economy. We are doing our second round of lay offs today. My wife and I own a restaurant so you can imagine how directly we are impacted.

Having said that...

China is more prepared for something like this than the US or Europe. Yes they may live in squalor, but they are veterans when it comes to this kind of stuff. The infectious disease shows up and out come the masks, etc.

You said "We are 5-6 times more population than Italy and it still would not be anywhere near 2.5 million deaths...it would be around 21,000 or less than annual US flu deaths." I would say Italy is basically only 4 weeks into this thing. I also read Italy has 3.2 hospital beds per 1,000 people. The US has 2.8 beds per 1,000. I think it will take much less than we realize to over run the health system and that's when things will start to get really bad.

They have said China's possible first patient was possibly in November. Unfortunately, I think things are going to get much worse before they get better. Look at Spain - they have 4% of China's population and they are fast approaching 50% of the deaths in China. Either China is lying or they are better at dealing with this than the rest of the world.

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management