Snrub,

I agree that the HSB wont attain a size to threaten the RES for this growout and I think its a great idea. I'm no expert but I'll throw out some ideas.

In a fertized BOW, 2000 2" BG can attain an average length of 6" in one season in Alabama. I take this reference from Swingle. The stocking plan of 100 RES is at a rate of 2000 RES/ACRE. IMHO, RES would not be able to attain the same length as BG at this stocking rate. I think I would lean toward a smaller number of them. I only say this because it could be that they wouldn't attain enough growth to eat the largest of your snails if there are too many. Ideally, the RES grow large enough to eliminate the snails completely utilizing this resource for growth. Were it me, I would feel more comfortable with number like 40 and I would prefer I think 3-4 inch RES if I could get them. At 40, the stocking rate is 800/ACRE.

If your HSB attain an average length of 5.5 inches, then 400 would weigh in at 30 lbs or 600 lbs/ACRE. I think at 40/ACRE the RES could attain lengths of 7 - 8 inches if starting at 4". At an average length of 7.5 ", they would weigh about 12 lbs or 240 lbs per acre. There will not be many FHM left and so the fish standing weight will be less than 1000 lbs/ACRE at the end of the grow out. No need for aeration unless you just wanted to be safe. Grown to this size, most of them should survive well in your big BOW. Just some ideas to chew on.

Last edited by jpsdad; 03/18/20 09:21 PM.

It isn't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so - Will Rogers