I and a few clients that feed their seasonal trout use Texas Hunter feeders, and we all use Optimal Bass food. Like was said, while it's not formulated for the trout, they do well on it.

The color in the fish flesh comes from them eating specific food. The color has no bearing on the flavor of the fish. A fish taxidermist friend who raises Brook, Brown and Tiger Trout for the taxidermist fish competition market uses Optimal Bass or Optimal Bluegill food with great results. When it's time to get the fish ready for market, he mixes Astaxanthin in the fish food, either with water and then softens the feed before hand feeding, or dissolves it in fish oil and then soaks the feed with the Astaxanthin laced fish oil and hand feed the fish. They really color up fast and the flesh is a bright orange color.

I've had Rainbow Trout gain 5# in 7-8 months and go from 14"-16" to around 24" in the same time frame. Feeding 40# Optimal per month in a 1 acre pond to an initial stocking of 80# Trout.

Currently I have Golden Rainbow (similar but not technically the same) as Palomino Trout.

Last edited by esshup; 03/10/20 03:03 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).