I've done some reading about the benefits of stocking tilapia an am considering it for my small pond but am afraid of potential negative results. I love the idea of them controlling algae and providing additional forage, but am unsure if they would wipe out my aquatic plants or outcompete any of my fish that are already present. My pond is about 1/8 acre and is heavily vegetated with mostly fennel pondweed. The fish present are bg,hbg, res, lmb, we, yp, and gsh. My fear would be that the tilapia start eating all the pond weed that provides shelter for my young fish or that the tilapia go after my bg and gsh fry and negativity impact my pond. Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated.

Cody Note FYI: Potamogeton pectinatus, called fennel pondweed (UK) or sago pondweed (US), is a cosmopolitan water plant species that grows in fresh and brackish water on all continents except Antarctica. It is fully submerged and does not have any floating or emerged leaves. The flowers are wind pollinated and the seeds float.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/21/20 12:02 PM.