Originally Posted By: TGW1
With your set up Frank, why not take some 12" or larger Florida like the Legacy lmb and then add a male or two of northern strain lmb and add them to your forage pond. The legacy is supposed to be an aggressive Florida and add an aggressive large northern male and let them breed in your forage pond. I would then thin the herd by selecting the fastest growing fingerlings (most aggressive). You might come up with Franks tigers smile Sounds like some fun. You interested in renting out your growout pond and see if we might produce a mean mouth smile After draining your forage pond, how long does it take for the pond to fill to where you can restock?

Excellent thinking, Tracy. Thing is, I already have stocked Fla Legacy and aggressive Northern strain from Overtons. They have certainly mixed in the last four years. For genetic diversity, I'm inclined toward Am Sportsfish strain of F1, the Tiger.

Meanmouth brings back memories of when I lived in Ohio, decades ago. Meanmouth was the cross between largemouth & smallmouth, and for a while was all the rage, especially up north. I'd love to have smallmouth or meanmouth, but not sure how'd they do in Texas summer heat. Pretty certain they wouldn't spawn much and I'd need to periodically stock fish large enough to make it, maybe 10 to 12 inches.

If only HSB jumped like smallmouth, nobody would care about LMB!

Last edited by anthropic; 02/15/20 12:10 AM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160