Originally Posted By: Uncle Shawn
...I did recently find a nice piece of property in Lamar County but after researching, it's a quarter section away from a floodplain. That's the other thing fellow Pondsters..... where in Texas? Everyone loves their hometown and county but with so many counties and the vastness of Texas, we are truly overwhelmed on trying to find the best area. Are there more Pond friendly Geographic locations in Texas that can also support pastureland? One of many questions on my mind...

First, welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure how to break down TX, but I tend to divide it by I35. For the most part, East of I35 gets more rain and is greener than west of I35, which is filled with big ranches, oil and gas wells, and desperadoes. The last sentence may not be exactly true, but last time I went mule deer hunting in Sanderson TX, we stopped at a gas station looking for the property we were hunting on. The guy said to stay on the road we were on and it was the 3rd gate on the left. IIRC, it was a 6-7 mile drive to get to that gate. Big country out west.

We're about 45 minutes south of the Lamar county property you're looking at, and here it's horses, cows, hay for cows, and dairies for milking cows. The Paris TX area should be close to the same, so maybe Brian L will chime in. I think he lives up that way.

AL