Thinking about adding around 300 per acre of 2 to 3" cnbg this next month in late Feb. Cost will run around .30 per fish
why? Because I have seen low numbers of that sized cnbg in the pond in the past early springs or late winters in or around the 1st of March. Low numbers I believe are because of them being eaten on all winter. There is enough vegetation in the pond to offer some cover for these new fish. So I am sure I will get some survival. I have done this in the past and I'm ok with what I saw from that stocking. It should take some pressure off any early cnbg spawns. The pond has some large sized cnbg so I feel that I have plenty of the larger sized cnbg. I just want the lmb/hsb to gain some weight after winter. I also added some GSH last year and may have gotten some survival of those but I am not sure so I plan on adding some more of those 4" ones around the same time as the cnbg additions. Early stocking of these might provide some spawning this year. I will follow up in April with Tp. The ponds cnbg are feed with 3 feeders
yr round for the most part. The whole purpose of this is to provide plenty of food for the lmb/hsb. I think the 5 to 6" cnbg are around .50 each maybe more so I would get fewer numbers of forage sized fish for the same buck. But I wonder if I should go this route because my lmb are good sized but my hsb would have trouble eating a cnbg that sized.

Maybe someday I will have a growout forage pond

Last edited by TGW1; 01/26/20 01:29 PM.

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy