Dave:

Wildlife love "edges". So by clearing land that creates many "edges" for them.

Instead of having a dozer come in is there a guy in the area that has a Fecon head on his skid steer? That chews up the brush and small trees into mulch. Let me see if I can find a picture or video to show you what I'm talking about.

I think the thicker brush is really cutting down the available area that the wildlife can utilize and still have a buffer sone away from predators. Think of a pond and having strategically placed brush piles and cover vs. weeds growing so thick that you have a hard time fishing in them over 90+% of the pond.

Here are 2 videos. The first one shows it going thru brush, the 2nd shows how it can chew up smaller trees. I have seen them large enough to take down and chew up 12" diameter trees. I know you have a lot of rocks and the operator will have to watch those, but it leaves a layer of mulch which will help things grow. Better for your area I think than using an dozer to push brush into piles and then having to deal with those piles.

There is an equipment rental place here where I can rent one, and I've used it to clear acres of brush and small trees (up to 6" dia. We don't have many rocks here and I was able to go about 2"-3" below the ground level to chew up the stumps and some roots. Throw on some high nitrogen fertilizer to help with decomposition, seed and there is the open area for wildlife.

Here's one last video.

Last edited by esshup; 01/20/20 11:57 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).